Are you the ultimate diving fan?
What am I?
To Lace Up Boots
To pull the rope through the holes in the chest weight
To tighten bolts on a helmet
Many helmets have wing nuts all the way around the edge of the diving helmet to fix the helmet to the diving suit. The nuts have to be made tight to stop the water getting into the suit. The bottom of the tool fits over the wing nut and the handle is turned to tighten the nuts. It is called a T spanner because it is shaped like the letter ‘T’.
Brass was used a lot to make tools that were used in or near water because it does not rust. It also does not make a spark if it strikes another metal. So it is a safe metal to use for lots of diving equipment.
Amazing facts about…
2. Whale sharks can grow to 14m in length. That’s just about the same length as a tour bus.
3. They can weigh up 11,000 kg which is about the same weight as two elephants.
4. Although they are called whale sharks they are not whales. They are members of the shark family.
5. Whale sharks have tiny teeth that are only about 6mm long – about the same as the thickness of a pencil. They have 3,000 of them, but they don’t use them to eat. They are filter feeders and sieve plankton, krill and small fish through their gills. They are huge, gentle fish.
6. They are very slow swimmers. They move at about 5km per hour.
7. They have beautiful spotted patterns on their backs.
What do sharks like for dinner?
Click to find out
Did you know kids as young as 10 can learn to dive?
Watch this video to get an idea of what it is like!
Books we love
You know how excited you can get when you have a week off ?
Well, meet Dougal.
Dougal has a pretty boring job and he has a week off work. He just can’t wait to make the most of it. He LOVES diving. And so he decides to keep a diary of all the amazing things he sees and does on his diving holiday. One of the things he really wants to find is the lost city under the sea – Atlantis.
But he has trouble finding it. He goes deep into the sea where it is so dark he can’t see anything – but we can see what he missed. One day he thought it was raining – it wasn’t. But we can see what it was. But when he finds a treasure wreck everything changes.
He had such an exciting time but when he holiday was over he had to go back to boring old work. But did he? And did he ever find Atlantis?